- 101 Defence Items banned by India — On 9th August 2020, Defence Minister Raj Nath Singh announced that India has put ban on 101 items to boost indigenous production. The list of 101 items was prepared by the Defence Ministry. This is being done to make India Self-reliant under Atma Nirbhar Bharat Abhiyan. The decision has been made to provide opportunity to the Defence industries of the country to manufacture items in the embargoed list. The industries can adopt their own design or adopt technologies developed by DRDO (Defence Research and Development Organization).
- Insolvency and Bankruptcy Board of India Regulations, 2017 amended by IBBI — The Insolvency and Bankruptcy Board of India (IBBI) recently amended the Insolvency and Bankruptcy Board of India Regulations. This is the second amendment. The amendment has made major changes to the voluntary liquidation process. The amendment allows the corporate persons to replace the liquidator or insolvency professional to initiate voluntary liquidation process.
- Envistats India 2020 report — The National Statistical Office recently released the Envistats India 2020 report. The report says that the number of heat wave days in 2019 increased over 80%. The report was prepared by the Ministry if Statistics and Programme Implementation, The National Statistical Office (NSO) operates under this Ministry. The average number if heat wave days increased 82.6%. It was 157 in 2019. The highest number if heat wave days was recorded in Rajasthan followed by Uttar Pradesh and Uttarakhand. The number of average cold wave days had also increased. It was 45 in 2018 and 29 in 2017.
- World Tribal Day is celebrated on 9th August — Every year, United Nations and other World Organizations celebrate World Tribal Day or International Day of the World Indigenous People. The day promotes and protects rights of world indigenous population. The day marks first meet of the United Nations Working Group on Indigenous Populations in Geneva, 1982. The theme of year 2020 World Tribal Day is “COVID-19 and indigenous people resilience”. The first World Tribal Day was celebrated in 1994. In India there are several indigenous tribes. Some have even sprouted out to be rebels demanding own land.
- 8 August: Anniversary of Quit India Movement — India commemorated the 78th Anniversary of Quit India Movement on 8th August 2020. On 8th August 1942, Mahatma Gandhi launched Quit India Movement at the session of All India Congress Committee in Mumbai. The Quit India Movement was launched after Cripps mission failed. Gandhi made a Do or Die call through the movement. India too was facing havoc due to World War. The movement was crushed as it didn’t get support from outside. The British refused to grant immediate saying it could happen only after the war ended.
- Mahinda Rajapaksa takes oath as Prime Minister of Sri Lanka — Former President of Sri Lanka Shri Mahinda Rajapaksa was sworn in as the new President of Sri Lanka on 9th August 2020. Rajapaksa has completed 50 years of politics in July 2020. He was elected as the Member of Parliament at the age of 24. Since then, he has been elected as President of Sri Lanka twice and appointed as Prime Minister thrice. The relationship between India and Sri Lanka is more than 2500 years old. India has given significant importance to the island nation under its “Neighbourhood First Policy”.
Location Wise Walkin Interviews :