- Stubble to be converted into Biomass fuel by PunjabPunjab Energy Development Agency (PEDA) in Association with the Government of Punjab, is soon coming up with an alternative for paddy stubble utilization. Stubble burning is one of the biggest problem in North India. To curb this, Punjab government’s own agency PEDA is playing a stellar role in weeding out the problem indigenously. Stubble which is a residue left out of the paddy and wheat field is normally burnt in the field itself. This stubble burning brings a lot of environmental problems as well as health problems. In Punjab itself, around 20 million tons of paddy stubble is generated out of these. Only 5% are used in a cleaner way for generating biofuel or environmentally friendly usage, rest are burnt in the field. The burning is one of the biggest cause of pollution and smog in Delhi. Apart from this, stubble burning also reduces soil fertility and the heat from the burn, kills the bacteria and reduces the moisture of the soil.
- Global Economic Freedom Index 2020India has been ranked 105th in the Global Economic Freedom Index 2020 released by the Fraser Institute, Canada. Hong Kong has topped the ranking followed by Singapore at the second spot. India has fallen 26 sports from 79th spot in last year’s ranking. Venezuela has been ranked last among 162 countries. The rankings are prepared based on the data of the Year 2018. The index measures the degree to which the policies and Institutions of countries are supportive of economic freedom. The Index ranks countries based on five areas – The size of government, legal structure and property rights, access to sound money, freedom to trade internationally, regulation of credit, labour and business.
- States Startup Ranking Results 2019Gujarat has topped the Second Edition of States Startup Ranking Results 2019 released by the Minister of Commerce & Industry and Railways Sri Piyush Goyal. The State’s Startup Ranking Framework 2019 has ranked states based on 7 broad reform area, consisting of 30 action points. In this 22 States and three Union Territories have participated. The ranking has been divided into two parts. Category X: Consisting of all big states and Category Y: This group has all North-Eastern states except Assam and all Union Territories except Delhi. Gujarat is the best performer state in that Category X while Andaman and Nicobar Islands is the best performer in Category Y. The ranking has been prepared by Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade.
- For Pandemic Preparedness, Former Health Secretary Preeti Sudan appointed to WHO’s panelFormer Health Secretary of India, Preeti Sudan has been appointed as a Member of Independent Panel for Pandemic Preparedness and Response of the World Health Organisation. The Global panel will evaluate International response to the COVID-19 pandemic and submit a report by May 2021 to the World Health Assembly. The panel, which has in 11 panelists from across the world, will hold its first meeting on 17 September 2020. Preeti Sudan is a 1983 batch IAS officer of the Andhra Pradesh cadre, had retired as the Union Health Secretary in July 2020.
- Paresh Rawal appointed as Chairperson of National School of DramaVeteran Bollywood Actor Paresh Rawal has been appointed as Chairman of National School of Drama, India’s premier theatre School under the Ministry of Culture. The 65 year old Rawal has been appointed to the post for a period of four years. The pores of National School of Drama chairperson has been officially vacant since 2017.
- United Nations day for South-South cooperation is observed on 12 SeptemberEvery year, on 12th September since 2011 United Nations Day for South-South cooperation is observed to celebrate the economic, social and political developments made in recent years by regions and countries in the south. The theme for the 2020 is “Pathways toward the SDGs through South-South solidarity beyond COVID-19”. It was on this day in 1978 that the United Nations General Assembly adopted a plan of action to promote and implement technical cooperation among developing countries. Initially, the General Assembly declared 19 December to be observed as the UN Day for South-South Cooperation in 2003.
- World First Aid Day is observed on 12th SeptemberThe World First Aid Day is observed on second Saturday of September every year to create awareness about importance of first aid in preventing injuries and saving lives. The World First Aid Day 2020 is being observed on 12 September. The day was started by the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies in 2000 to educate people in the world of the benefits of fist aid, need of a first aid and the right way to do first aid.
- FCRA registration to Golden templeThe Ministry of Home Affairs has approved registration of the Shri Harmandir Sahib under the Foreign Contribution (Regulation) Act (FCRA), 2010 on 9th September 2020. Shri Harmandir Sahib is famous as Golden Temple in Amritsar. The registration under FCRA 2010 will allow the Golden temple to receive foreign funds. The FCRA registration will be valid for a period of 5 years. The funds received from global contributors will be used for shrine activities besides providing financial assistance to the poor, medical assistance to the needy and organize langars (free community kitchens).
- In Bengaluru, 13th Aero India-21 to be heldThe 13th edition of Aero India-21 is scheduled to be held at Air Force Station, Yelahanka, Bengaluru, Karnataka from 3 to 7 February 2021. Defence Minister Shri Rajnath Singh has launched the website for error India 2021, so that the exhibitors can register and book their space online as well as Business and other visitors by their tickets online to visit the show. The website can be accessed at https://aeroindia.gov.in. Aero India is Asia’s largest air show and aviation exhibition held biennially in Bengaluru since 1996.
- ‘Grih Pravesh’ program organised under Pradhan Mantri Awas YojanaPrime Minister Narendra Modi took part in a program called ‘Grih Pravesh’, the program was organised under Pradhan Mantri Aawas Yojana. The program fulfills the Modi government agenda of housing for all by 2022. The program was live telecast in 1640 gram panchayats and 26548 villages. Above 1 crore 25 people in total registered to listen to this program. Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana – Gramin is a flagship programme which was launched on 28 November 2016. The program erstwhile known as Indira Awas Yojana is a social welfare programme started by the Indian government in order to make sure every people get housing by 2022. The programme was launched by the then Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi in 1985.
Location Wise Walkin Interviews :