- On 15 September, National Engineer’s Day is celebratedIn India, the Engineer’s Day is celebrated on 15 September every year, since 1968, to recognise the contribution of engineers’ in the development of nation. The day marks the birth anniversary of the engineering Pioneer of India, Sir Mokshagundam Vishwesvaraya, (popularly known as Sir MV). Sir MV was regarded as the ‘Father of Modern Mysore’. He was awarded ‘Bharat Ratna’ for his contribution exceptional contribution to the building of India in 1955.
- Rajya Sabha Deputy Chairman, Harivansh Narayan Singh re-electedOn 14th September 2020, National Democratic Alliance (NDA) candidate and Janata Dal (United) MP (Member of Parliament) Harivansh Narayan Singh has been once again elected as Deputy Chairman of Rajya Sabha voice vote. The opposition put RJD (Rashtriya Janata Dal) MP Manoj Jha in front of Harivansh, whose name was proposed by BJP (Bharatiya Janata Party) President Jagat Prakash Nadda and his proposition was supported by Leader of the House, Thawar Chand Gehlot. The Deputy Chairman of Rajya Sabha is a constitutional post. Article 89 of the Constitution of India states that the Rajya Sabha can elect one of its MPs for the post of Deputy Chairman when the post is vacant. Actually, the post of Deputy Chairman becomes weak and after the resignation, removal from the post of the Rajya Sabha MP.
- Due to COVID-19, former Chhattisgarh Minister Chanesh Ram Rathiya passed awayVeteran Congress leader and former Chhattisgarh Minister Chanesh Ram Rathiya has passed away due to COVID-19. He was 78. He had served as animal husbandry minister in the Digvijay Singh led Congress government in erstwhile Madhya Pradesh. Rathiya also served as the food and civil supplies minister in the Ajit Jogi government (2000-2003) after the formation of Chhattisgarh in 2000.
- To study ancient Indian culture, Union ministry set up 16 member committeeUnion Minister of Culture and Minister of Tourism of India, Prahlad Patel announced the formation of an expert committee to conduct a study on the origin and evolution of Indian Culture. The committee consists of 16 members that include K.N. Dikshit, Chairman, Indian Archaeological Society. The committee will conduct a Holistic study of the origin and evolution of Indian Culture from the time of 12,000 years before to the present. It will also study and its interface with other cultures around the world.
- Exports of all kinds of onions banned by governmentRecently Government of India released a notification outlawing the export of all kinds of onions. The Ban is imposed 3 months after the central government made changes in Essential Commodities Act, 1955. There seem to be a two major reasons why the government imposed the ban on export. One in recent times there has been a steady increase in the wholesale prices of onions. This price surge has made on your own a popular kitchen staple, costlier item in the Indian household. Secondly the high CFPI (Consumer Food Price Index) value released by the Ministry of Statistics and Programme Implementation.
- Prediction of ADB that Asian Economy shrinking for the first time Since 1960sThe prediction of the Manila based Asian Development Bank says due to pandemic hit the Asian economy is going to shrink for the first time since the early 1960s. It also stated that the period will continue until next year with a downfall in the level of growth as projected before the pandemic. In June, the GDP projections showed a significant increase of 0.1% but in 2020, the Gross Domestic Product of the region is going to decline by 0.7%. The GDP will downgrade by 9% this year in India because of the stalled private spending amid the lockdown. Philippines and Thailand will also face a GDP shrink. China with its successful Public Health measures will tackle the problem of the GDP downfall.
- Retail Inflation of India dips marginally from 6.73 % of July to 6.69% in AugustThe data released by the government showed a slight downfall of CPI-based Retail inflation in India from 6.73 % of July to 6.69% in August. Food inflation in August also degraded marginally to 9.05% from the period previous 9.62%. Retail Inflation is the increase in the price of goods which is sold at the retail market. The increase in inelastic goods, whose price change does not significantly impact the demand for that product causes retail inflation. In India, it is measured by the consumer price index. Reserve Bank of India (RBI) uses of retail inflation data to take the policy decisions.
- Assisted Reproductive Technology (Regulation) Bill, 2020 in Lok Sabha introduced by Central GovernmentThe Central Government introduced the Assisted Reproductive Technology (Regulation) Bill, 2020 in Lok Sabha, seeking the control to regulate assisted reproductive technology services across the country to ensure your ethical practices. It will mandate registering of all fertility clinics and banks in India with a national registering authority. All activities of such clinics have to be reported from time to time. It is also going to introduce age-based restrictions for both men and women to be a part of the service.
- In Jammu, Union Minister Dr. Jitendra Singh lays Foundation stone of Arun Jaitley Memorial Sports ComplexOn 12th September 2020, the Union Minister of State Development of North Eastern Region, Dr. Jitendra Singh along with Youth Affairs and Sports Minister Kiren Rijiju and Jammu and Kashmir Lieutenant Governor Manoj Sinha laid the foundation stone for the construction of Arun Jaitley Memorial sports complex at Hiranagar, in Kathua district of Jammu and Kashmir through video conferencing. Arun Jaitley Memorial Sports Complex will spread over 270 kanals of land and is being undertaken under the Prime Minister’s Development Package at an estimated cost of rupees 58.23 crore. It will boost the overall sports infrastructure in the union territory of Jammu and Kashmir.
- Rajesh Khullar appointed as executive director at World BankRajesh Khullar has been appointed as Executive Director at World Bank. He is a 1988 batch IAS officer. Sameer Kumar Khare has been appointed Executive Director of the Asian Development Bank. He is 1989 as IAS officer of Assam-Meghalaya cadre. The order regarding this was issued by the Personnel Ministry.
Location Wise Walkin Interviews :