- Defence Technology and Trade Initiative (DTTI) group meeting held virtually between India-USOn 16th September 2020, the tenth Defence Technology and Trade Initiative Group meeting was held virtually. The meeting is usually held twice a year alternating between India and US. For the first time, the group meeting has been held virtually. The initiative signed statement of intent to strengthen dialogue on defence technology cooperation. Also, the grouping reported several on-going activities and collaborative opportunities targeted for completion on priority. The main aim of the grouping is focused on land, air, naval and aircraft carrier technologies that were established under DTTI.
- Peace Agreement signed between Israel, Bahrain and UAE On 15th September 2020, United States President Donald Trump, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and Foreign Ministers of Bahrain and UAE signed the historic peace agreement “Abraham Accord”. It is the first peace deal between Israel and Arabs in 26 years. According to the deal the UAE and Bahrain will exchange ambassadors with Israel, and will work together in range of sectors such as Trade, Tourism, healthcare and security.
- Essential Commodities (Amendment) Bill, 2020 passed by Lok Sabha On 15th September 2020, Lok Sabha passed the bill to amend Essential Commodities Act, 1955. The bill seeks to deregulate food items, pulses, cereals and onion. The amendment is already being implemented as ordinance. The Government of India, in June 2020, promulgated the Essential Commodities (Amendment) Ordinance, 2020. The Amendment empowers Government of India to control, supply, production, distribution, trade and commerce of certain commodities.
- Insurance Scheme for Health Workers Fighting COVID-19 extended The Government of India recently extended Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Package Insurance Scheme to provide an insurance cover of Rupees 50 lakhs to COVID-19 health care providers. The scheme was announced in March 2020 for a period of 90 days. It has now been extended for another 180 days. Pradhan Mantri Kalyan Yojana was launched in March 2020 to help ease life of citizens during COVID-19 lock down. This insurance of this package. The Ministry of Health and Family Welfare collaborated with New India Assurance Company limited to provide insurance amounts to health workers fighting COVID-19.
- Salaries and Allowances of Ministers (Amendment) Bill, 2020 passed by Lok Sabha The Lok Sabha recently passed Salaries and Allowances of Ministers (Amendment) Bill, 2020. According to the amendment, the salaries of the parliamentarians are to be reduced by 30% for one year to mitigate fallout of disruptions that were created by COVID-19. The Bill replaced the “Salaries and Allowances of Ministers (Amendment) Ordinance”, 2020. It amends Salaries, Allowances and Pension of Members of Parliament Act, 1954. This will reduce their salaries by 30%. Salaries and Allowances of Minister Act, 1952. This will reduce the sumptuary allowance of ministers by 30%.
- On 16th September, Ozone Day is observedThe World Ozone Day is also called the International Day for the preservation of the ozone layer. The day is being celebrated since 1994. The United Nations General Assembly proclaimed September 16 as World Ozone Day to commemorate the signing of Montreal Protocol in 1987. The Protocol aims to reduce usage of substances that deplete ozone layer. This year, the day is celebrated under the theme “Ozone for Life: 35 years of Ozone layer Protection”.
Location Wise Walkin Interviews :