- ICMR released National Cancer Registry Programme Report, 2020 — On 18th August 2020, the Indian Council of Medical Research released “National Cancer Registry Programme Report”, 2020. According to the report, the number of cancer patients in India are to increase to 15.7 lakhs by 2025. The report also says that by the end of 2020, there will be 13.9 lakh cancer patients in the country. The estimates of the report were made based on data retrieved from 58 hospital-based cancer registries made between 2012 and 2016.
- For Delhi-Meerut Regional Rapid Transit System, ADB approved 1 billion USD — On 18th August 2020, the Asian Development Bank approved 1 billion USD loan to support construction of modern high-speed Delhi-Meerut Regional Rapid Transit System in India. The system is first of its kind. The system aims to help improve regional connectivity by establishing transit options connecting Delhi and Meerut in Uttar Pradesh. The system is the first of the three priority rail corridors in the integrated transport network of NCR Regional Plan 2020-2021.
- President of Mali resigns after being detained at gunpoint — Mali President Ibrahim Boubacar Keita submitted his resignation on 19th August 2020 and dissolved the Parliament and the National Assembly after getting detained at gunpoint by armed mutinying soldiers in the Bamako. The resignation is effective from immediate effect.
- Dent in the Earth’s Magnetic Field confirmed by NASA — The NASA scientists have discovered a small but an evolving dent in the earth’s magnetic field. The dent has been found over South America and South Atlantic Ocean. It is an unusually weak spot and is called South Atlantic Anomaly. The Earth’s Magnetic Filed acts as a protective shield to the planet as it repels and traps charged particles from the sun. The South Atlantic Anomaly allows the charged particles to dip closer to the earth’s surface than normal. This knocks out onboard computers and is capable of interfering with data collection from satellites. Thus, it is important to learn about the magnetic dent and find solutions.
- Manufacturing Policy of Uttar Pradesh launched — On 19th August 2020, the Uttar Pradesh Government launched the Electronics Manufacturing Policy. It aims to bring in Rupees 40,000 crores of investment in five years. The policy aims to develop Bundelkhand and Purvanchal regions. The policy aims to make Uttar Pradesh a global electronics hub. Also, it will attract international investors to shift their base to India after COVID-19 crisis. The Uttar Pradesh Manufacturing Policy, 2017 was a big success and it achieved high target of investment and employment generation.
- In Indian Railways, Drone based Surveillance System introduced — On 18th August 2020, the Ministry of Railways announced that the drone-based surveillance system is to be introduced for the purpose of railway security. The Railway Protection Force has so far procured drones at a cost of Rupees 32 lakhs. The drones are to be implemented in Central Railway, South Eastern Railway, Central Railway and South Western Railway. In order to implement the surveillance, the Ministry has procured Ninja UAV (Unmanned Aerial Vehicle). The drones are capable of video streaming and real time tracking.
- Swadeshi Microprocessor Challenge — On 18th August 2020, the Union Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad launched the “Swadeshi Challenge”. The challenge is being launched to achieve self-reliance or Atma Nirbhar Bharat Abhiyan. The challenge aims to design microprocessors that has the ability to address global challenges. These challenges mainly include technological glitches and security. The prize money of the challenge is Rupees 4.3 crores. Students and start up companies can participate in the challenge.
- Reserve Bank of India releases Framework for retail payments for pan-India entity — Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has launched the framework to set up pan-India Entity for retail payments. To set up this pan-India umbrella entity, the Central Bank has invited applications from companies by 26th February 2021. This entity will monitor national and international developments to prevent frauds and shocks.
- Ayurveda at doorstep of Delhi Police Families — On 18th August 2020, a Memorandum of Understanding was signed between All India Institute of Ayurveda (AIIA) and Delhi Police to extend Ayurveda preventive health services to the residential colonies of Delhi Police. Under the initiative, the health services are to be provided at the door steps of Delhi Police families. The mobile unit that is to provide the services are named “Dhanwantari Rath”. The Dhanwantari Rath launched is a continuation of the “Ayuraksha”. The Ayuraksha is a joint venture of AIIA and Delhi Police.
- National Recruitment Agency approved by Union Cabinet — On 19th August 2020, the Union Cabinet approved to set up National Recruitment Agency. The agency is to conduct Common Eligibility Test for Public Sector Banks and Government Jobs. The Common Eligibility Test (CET) is to be conducted for non-gazetted posts in public sector banks and central government. Candidates qualifying the test can apply for higher level of examination.
Location Wise Walkin Interviews :