- International Day for the Remembrance of the Slave Trade and its Abolition is observed on 23rd August — International Day for the Remembrance of the Slave Trade and its Abolition is a UNESCO designated day held every year on 23rd August to memorialize the transatlantic slave trade. It is a day to honor the memory of the men and women who, in Saint0 Domingue in 1791, revolted and paved the way for the end of slavery and dehumanization.
- National Council for Transgender Persons Constituted — The Government of India has constituted National Council for Transgender Persons. The Council is to be headed by the Union Social Justice Minister. It comprises of members from 10 central departments, members from the community and central department. The council has been formed under Transgender Persons (Protection of Rights) Act, 2019. The council will also have joint secretary level members from ministries of health, minority affairs, education, labour, rural development. Apart from ministries, the council will also have members from Human Rights Commissions, NITI Aayog and National Commission for Women.
- For Construction Machinery, GoI proposes stricter norms — The Government of India has proposed stricter norms to ensure greater safety on highways. It includes features such as machine mounted audible travel alarms, requirements for operator station, non-metallic fuel tank, operator visibility for construction equipment machinery. There are safety requirements for Construction Equipment Vehicles in Central Motors Vehicles Rules, 1989. These new rules are being proposed to introduce Automotive Industry Standard AIS 160. The Government has proposed stricter norms under the new rules to ensure greater safety on highways.
- Dragonfly Festival — The World Wide Fund along with the Bombay Natural History Society launched the third edition of Dragonfly Festival, 2020. The festival aims to create conservation of these insects. For the first time, the festival is to be organized in Kerela as “Thumbi Mahostsavam 2020”. This is a part of the National Dragonfly Festival. Along with WWF and BNHS, the other organizers are National Biodiversity Board, IUCN-Centre for Environment Conservation, United Nations Development Programme. The Dragonfly Festival was begun in 2018. It aims to educate and inform the public about integral role of dragonflies.
- BIS Draft standard for Drinking Water supply — The Bureau of Indian Standards has prepared a draft standard for the supply of piped drinking water. It has been named “Drinking Water Supply Quality Management System – requirement for piped drinking water supply service”. The Draft was prepared by the BIS Public Drinking Water Supply Services Sectional Committee. The draft was developed with the aim to provide safe and adequate drinking water to rural households by 2024.
- Mega Plan of Modi – “One Sun One World One Grid” — The Prime Minister Narendra Modi in his Independence Day address mentioned the mega plan of “One Sun One World One Grid” project. It is a trans-national electricity grid supplying solar power project. The idea of the project was first introduced by Prime Minister Narendra Modi in 2018 during the International Solar Alliance. The plan focuses on framework to facilitate global cooperation, building global ecosystem of interconnected renewable energy resources. The project receives technical assistance from World Bank.
- ‘Gig-a-Opportunities’ launched by Axis Bank — Axis Bank has launched an initiative named ‘Gig-a-Opportunities’. The initiative aims to attract skilled talent that can work with the bank remotely, from anywhere in the country. This hiring model comprises two working patterns. One is the full-time permanent job and the second is based on the duration of a project and is temporary in nature. Axis bank aims to employ 800-1000 people over the next under this initiative.
- National Sports Awards, 2020 — The Government of India announced the National Sports Awards, 2020 on 22nd August 2020. The award is presented to sportsperson with most outstanding performance in the field of sports for a period of four years. The following persons have been selected for the award for the year 2020 – 1) Rohit Sharma. 2) Para-Athlete Mariyannapn Thangavelu. 3) Wrestler Vinesh Phogat. 4) Indian Hockey Team Captain Rani Rampal. This year, 27 sports person have been selected for the award. The winners of the award are presented with a cash prize of Rupees five Lakhs. The award is presented to motivate the sportsperson for their good performances.
- All Eligible disabled persons included under NFSA — On 23rd August 2020, the Central Government wrote to the State Governments and the Union Territories that all the disabled persons should be included under National Food Security Act (NFSA), 2013. The Central Government has issued order to identify such disabled persons who do not hold ration cards and include them under NFSA, 2013. Section 10 of NFSA provides coverage of persons under Antyodaya Anna Yojana. The act provides subsidized food grains under Targeted Public Distribution System.
- For Financial Education 2002-2025, National Strategy released — The second edition of National Strategy for Financial Education (NSFE): 2020-2025 has been released. The first edition of NSFE was for the period 2013-2018. NSFE: 2020-2025 has been prepared by National Centre for Financial Education in consultation with the four Financial Sector Regulators – RBI, SEBI, IRDAI and PFRDA and other other relevant stakeholders.
Location Wise Walkin Interviews :