- In Chhattisgarh and Odisha, Naukhai Juhar Festival is celebrated — On 23rd August 2020, Naukhai Juhar Festival was celebrated in Odisha, Chhattisgarh and other neighbouring states. It is celebrated to welcome the new crop of the season. It is also called Naukhai Parab or Naukhai Bhetghat. During the festival, food grains are worshipped. The locals organize dances and folk songs in their districts displaying their culture and tradition.
- 500 million USD agreement signed between Maharashtra-AIIB — On 24th August 2020, Government of Maharashtra and Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank signed loan agreement of 500 million USD to improve service quality, safety and network capacity of suburban railway system in Mumbai. The project is to increase network capacity in the region. This in turn will also help to reduce fatal accidents of commuters. Among the primary beneficiaries of the project, 22% will be female passengers. The total cost of the project has been estimated as 997 million USD. Of this, 500 million USD is to be financed by AIIB, 310 million USD by the Maharashtra State Government and 187 million USD by the Ministry of Railways.
- First National Coordination Committee Meeting between India-Uzbekistan — On 24th August 2020, India and Uzbekistan held their first National Coordination Committee meeting where they discussed their bilateral interests such as trade and investment and Line of Credit projects. The meeting was co-chaired by Indian External Affairs Minister and Uzbekistan Deputy Prime Minister. The countries have bilateral trade of over 300 million. Pharmaceuticals is the major area of trade between the countries. Also, medical tourism has increased between the countries in the recent past.
- In Guwahati, India’s longest ropeway on Brahmaputra to open for public — On 24th August 2020, the State Minister of Assam, Siddhartha Bhattacharya inaugurated India’s longest ropeway across river Brahmaputra. The ropeway is to cut short the travel time by almost an hour. It is 2 km and the distance is covered in 7 minutes. One-way ride is to cost Rupees 60.
- For Migrant Workers, Transit homes to be build by Karnataka Government — The Karnataka Government is to build transit homes for migrant workers. The homes aim to provide better living conditions for the migrant workers. This is being launched because of the reverse migration in Karnataka amid lock down. The project is being launched with an inspiration from “Apna Ghar” project of Kerela. The expected cost of the project is Rupees 50 crores. The transit homes will have kitchen so that the migrant workers can cook their own meals. Also, they will have to pay minimal maintenance fee for their stay.
- Businesses with annual turnover of up to Rupees 40 lakhs exempted from GST — The Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman announced on 24th August 2020, that the Businesses with annual turnover of up to Rupees 40 lakhs are exempted from GST. Earlier the limit was Rupees 20 lakhs. The announcement was made through series of tweets on the occasion of the first death anniversary of former Finance Minister Arun Jaitley. Also, the Finance Ministry added that those people with turnover up to Rupees 1.5 crores shall opt for Composition Scheme and shall pay 1% tax.
- Blood Plasma Therapy authorized by USFDA for COVID-19 — The United States Food and Drug Administration (USFDA) recently authorized the use of blood plasma therapy for COVID-19 patients. India is already using plasma therapy as a cure to COVID-19. India has set up plasma banks to collect blood plasma from COVID-19 recovered patients. Apart from India, France had allowed the use of plasma therapy. Australia has still kept plasma therapy under clinical trial. The Chinese had begun the plasma therapy in February 2020. The other countries such as UK still hold plasma therapy on clinical trials.
- Under Garib Kalyan Rozgar Abhiyan, Indian Railways generate 6,40,000 days of work — The Indian Railways have generated more than 6,40,000-man days under Garib Kalyan Rozgar Abhiyan in six states. They are Jharkhand, Bihar, Madhya Pradesh, Rajasthan, Odisha, Uttar Pradesh. Till 21st August 2020, around 12,276 workers have been enrolled under Garib Kalyan Rozgar Abhiyan.
- Most Advanced Warship sold to Pakistan by China — On 23rd August 2020, China launched an advanced warship for Pakistan. This is the largest it has built for a country and also the first among the four most sophisticated naval platforms. China has sol Type o54A/P to Pakistan. It is a guided missile frigate. A Frigate is a warship that has mixed armament and is generally heavier than that of a destroyer. The acquisition of the warship will double the combat power of Pakistani Navy surface fleet. It is also expected that Pakistan will have three more similar warships added to its fleet by 2021.
- Mystery behind Dwarf Galaxy traced by ARIES Astronauts — The Scientists at the Aryabhatta Research Institute of Observation Science (ARIES) has found dwarf galaxies that are forming new stars at the rate of 10-100 time more than that of Milky Way Galaxy. This however, according to the scientists do not last longer than a few tens of million years. These dwarf galaxies according to the scientists last only for few billion years. Also, the formation of new stars in these galaxies also happen for a very short duration which is a few million years.
Location Wise Walkin Interviews :